The word Ajax comes from an odd mixture of the words Edax and
Java. Indeed, Ajax may be considered as the little brother of
Edax, a program I designed in C language and which was awarded as the
French 2000 Champion Othello program. Ajax is a light Edax;
nonetheless, most of the same recipes were applied to it. Consequently,
Ajax is a strong software, probably the strongest Java applet; although
it is much weaker than Edax and other similar software.
With Ajax I hope filling a gap: rareness of actually strong applets in
the Web, for I am myself, as a weak player, able to beat most of them. I also
try to offer a user interface of high quality and easy to use.
This page contains a brief description of the main display
and of the menu.
Here is a preview of Ajax as it displays on a browser:
Display was designed to look esthetical without forgetting to remain easy to
use, according to the following organisation:
- On the left, the Othello board, with a classic look, where the game
- On the top right, a menu
to control the game.
- On the bottom right a panel displaying, for both players, various
information about the state of the game:
- thinking time,
- disc number,
- available move number.
- On the very bottom right , a banner displays information about the game
advancement: last played move or final score.
- Occasionnally, on the right center, a button indicates that a player must
pass its turn. Click on it to keep playing.
The menu offers the following choices:
- New Game. Start a new game.
- Undo. Undo your last move.
- Hint. Ask Ajax the move it is expecting from you.
- Dummy. The computer plays randomly.
- Beginnner. The computer plays at a weak level.
- Amateur. The computer plays at an intermediate level.
- Expert. The computer plays at a strong level.
- Master. The computer plays at a very strong level.
- Blitz. The computer plays the whole game in 5 minutes.
- Tournament. The computer plays the whole game in 25 minutes.
- Swap colors. Play with Black or White.
- Legal moves. Show where the player can move.
- Animation. Show the discs flipping.
- Temporization. Blink played discs and wait a few seconds between
Ajax version 1.3 (05/09/2001 00:00)
Copyright © 2000 Richard Delorme
Othello ® is a registered trademark of Tsukuda-Original,
licensed by Anjar and distributed
in France (and some other countries) by Mattel.